Friday, November 19, 2010

I Heart Face Fix It Friday

I thought I would try something new today. It's been a busy day of baking sugar cookies--we cut out with Turkey shapes and decorated with left over birthday cake frosting and added sprinkles, chocolate chips and candy corn. We caught up on some school work & laundry and stayed home all day. I landed on i heart faces and saw a Fix it Friday. So here's my ideas:
I use Photoshop Elements 8 and used actions downloaded for free from The Coffee Shop Blog. I love LOVE these actions and use a variety of them on my own photos. I like how she explains what she did in each layer of the action and gives advice on how to further edit each layer when needed in her tutorial.

As I labeled, you can see the top photo is the unedited version, the one I downloaded from the site. I then ran the vivid pop action, making the soft layer active at 50% opacity and the bright layer active. It sure brightens up the photo!

Next, I ran the Vanilla B&W action. I put the vanilla tint layer at 40% and made the sharpen layer active. I love this little boy's eyelashes, and wanted to make them a focal point in the editing. This is especially true in the last photo, the Hot Cocoa 2 action. After running the action, I used the brush on the layer mask at a low opacity to take away most of the haziness from his face, especially on the eyes.

I just downloaded the 2-photo groupings used here from MCPActions. Love them!

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Great edits ... I really like the Vivid Pop, and the Vanilla B&W! I'm partial to B&W's, but the color in this image was fantastic, and fun to work with! I have yet to try some of the actions from the sites you mentioned ... just have to do that, soon! I also must try the recipes you've shared here on your blog, too! They look delicious! You have a blessed Thanksgiving! :)

Deborah said...

P.S. I use PSE7, and was wondering just how difficult it was to install the actions you had mentioned ... I notice you use PSE8, and I'm hoping it isn't too much different the mine! :)

Jen said...

to borne. image. photography,
thanks for your encouragement! I used to use pse 6 and upgraded a few months ago, and both are pretty similar. the coffeeshop blog has great instructions for loading the actions...i have to follow them every time I install!

Look but Don't Take

All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is ©Jennifer Beggs. My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for contest submission or publication.

My Family

My Family
God Bless America

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus with all my heart and a truth & Grace seeker. I married the love of my life in 2000 and I've been blessed with 5 lovies that I homeschool. Join me as I blog about my interests.

Counter

Web Site Counter

Blog Archive