Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tassels of Grace

Have you ever wondered why the Jewish people of old wore the symbols and boxes on the arms and heads? Sure, God told them to way back when Moses was leading the Children of Israel, but WHY?  I only recently considered that Jesus would have worn these same tassels and boxes and followed this rule of the law.  After much thought and reading, I concluded that maybe they weren't such a bad idea.  I need a daily putting "on" of my commitment to loving God fully with all that I am.  I need constant reminders and a prayerful heart towards giving up of myself and setting myself apart from what my flesh craves for and calls out to.  When we marry, we wear a symbol that shows all of this love and commitment as well as a reminder to ourselves.  Should we be any less obvious in our love for Jesus?


I created this to go along with a bracelet I recently purchased.  This bracelet goes on every day with a prayer of daily commitment.  I don't suppose this bracelet will last forever.  It's just a piece of string.  But I like it because it's blue, like the Jews were commanded to wear.  It has the infinity symbol on it, which reminds me of God's enduring faithfulness and eternal love he has for me.


A few weeks ago, I was pulling up to the ATM at the bank, when a song came through my minivan CD player.  Come thou Fount of Every Blessing.  Familiar, beautiful, striking notes.  This time the words of verse 3 struck me anew:

O to Grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above


Along with this physical reminder that I'm wearing, I was also convicted as to how I decorate my home.  I want visual reminders for ME to see, as well as my family, of how I ought to live.  I found these 2 verse plaques as the Family Dollar Store--doesn't have to be fancy!  Only $2 each.  I found a few more things that I'll be sharing later.  While these pictures aren't terribly clear, you can see that they contain Scripture.  Faith--Hebrews 11:1, and Hope--Romans 10:18.  These are on a shelf above my couch, and I was standing on the couch to take the photo, trying to keep my balance.  My 4-year-old decided to join me on the couch and wouldn't stop bouncing!



What do you do to remind yourself daily?








No comments:

Look but Don't Take

All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is ©Jennifer Beggs. My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for contest submission or publication.

My Family

My Family
God Bless America

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus with all my heart and a truth & Grace seeker. I married the love of my life in 2000 and I've been blessed with 5 lovies that I homeschool. Join me as I blog about my interests.

Counter

Web Site Counter

Blog Archive