Monday, July 19, 2010

A Monday Meal...How the Garden Does Grow!

As you can see, the garden is growing! It is starting to produce, and at the moment, I have oodles of zucchini. I like to puree it for breads and a chocolate cake, but I was wondering what else I could make out of it? So for this recipe, I looked up zucchini in a recipe search on allrecipes.com and came up with zucchini pancakes. They turned out rather tasty, even for my picky children. My husband's only complaint was that it was mushy and maybe I should've cooked them longer.

Here you go:

1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat) 1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 2 tbl. chopped onion
1/2 tsp dried oregano (I used fresh) 2 tbl mayo (I used plain yogurt)
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini 2 tbl butter/margarine for frying (I used spray Pam)
sour cream & spaghetti sauce to serve

Mix dry ingredients separately, then combine wet ingredients. Mix together. Drop by cupfuls onto skillet, press lightly to flatten. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side (I guess I should've gone longer here.) My kids weren't crazy about the green flecks, so consider peeling zucchini first if you want. Otherwise, I have to say they were surprisingly tasty!

Here's Makenna with our LARGE tomato plants. Once again, they didn't get caged and are super huge. I hope the tomatoes can find room to grow...
A pumpkin that started itself from last year's seeds...lookin' good!
Sugar Babies! We will have watermelon this year. Last year it froze before they were ready to eat. We have several this size and more coming.
Our corn is taller than us now, and the cucumbers right at the girls' feet are beginning to take off...I wish they were ready now!


What you see here are some MONSTER pumpkin vines that are threatening to overtake the garden. I keep redirecting them outside the garden. I have the scratches on my arms to prove it! There's no walking through those boogers!

No comments:

Look but Don't Take

All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is ©Jennifer Beggs. My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for contest submission or publication.

My Family

My Family
God Bless America

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus with all my heart and a truth & Grace seeker. I married the love of my life in 2000 and I've been blessed with 5 lovies that I homeschool. Join me as I blog about my interests.

Counter

Web Site Counter

Blog Archive