Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday Meals--Tostadas!

I joined my college friend, Jen's blog group of Monday Meals. Check it out: Riese's Pieces
So, I am attempting to post one of my weekly meals on my blog to be seen by all...This is another healthy meal that took some planning--both at the store and in my daily schedule. Too often, knowing Tim will get home around 6:30, I wait until 6:00 to decide what's for dinner!




Grilled Chicken Tostadas

4 6oz skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 1 7-oz can green salsa
1 tbsp fresh lime juice 4 cups chopped tomato
1 tbsp low sodium taco seasoning 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, chopped
1/2 tsp sugar 1 1/4 cup fat free refried beans
nonstick cooking spray 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
5 8-inch flour tortillas 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
6 cups packaged coleslaw 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seed kernels, toasted

Prepare grill or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush chicken with lime juice and sprinkle with taco seasoning and sugar. Place the chicken on the grill pan coated with nonstick cooking spray and grill 4 minutes on each side until chicken is done. Cool slightly. Cut chicken into 1/4 inch strips and set aside. Place tortillas on the grill rack or pan and grill 30 seconds on each side or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine coleslaw and salsa an toss to coat. Combine tomato and olives in a separate bowl and toss gently. Spread about 3 tablespoons or the refried beans over each tortilla and divide chicken evenly among the tortillas. Top each serving with 2/3 cup of the slaw mixture, 2/3 cup of the tomato mixture, 4 teaspoons of feta cheese, 1 tablespoon reduced fat sour cream, and 2 teaspoons cilantro leaves. Sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds, if desired.
361 calories; 9.2 g fat; 28.7 g protein; 43 g carbs; 6.8 g fiber

Changes I made to the recipe: I found green salsa--it's made with tomatillos & cilantro and it's HOT! I only mixed enough of it with cole slaw for me. Tim tried it and said it was ok, the girls didn't like it. Instead of the tomato mixture, I just used salsa from a jar...I don't like olives or tomatoes, but I do like salsa! I loved it and found it very filling! I ate mine flat, like a tostada, but may have loaded it too full! Tim just spread it down the middle and rolled it up like a burrito. The girls basically just ate the tortilla! Makenna liked the beans, too. Hannah said the chicken was too spicy! Oh, well. They can be so picky! I give this meal a thumbs up!

It was so good, I forgot to take a picture until I had already tried a few bites...


Here's my own cilantro!

No comments:

Look but Don't Take

All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is ©Jennifer Beggs. My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for contest submission or publication.

My Family

My Family
God Bless America

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus with all my heart and a truth & Grace seeker. I married the love of my life in 2000 and I've been blessed with 5 lovies that I homeschool. Join me as I blog about my interests.

Counter

Web Site Counter

Blog Archive