Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Soul Food for Soul Hunger

Ever since a friend pointed out John 6 to me in a text message at 6:45 am last Friday, I've been camped out in this passage.  The "I AM" passages of John fascinate me, and this passage contains Jesus' statement:  


"I AM the Bread of Life"


Christ claims deity calling himself the I AM.  He is the new Manna given to the people who are needy and hungry.  Soul food for Soul hunger.  He doesn't just take the edge of the hunger until something more filling comes along.  


He IS the filling.  


Feast on the Giver of Life.


"Satisfy us each morning with your unfailing love, 
so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives." Psalm 90:14


To be full, have in God's love and mercy and faithfulness excess and abundance now in our youth, so that even to the end joyful praise to Him will be on our lips.

 "Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink -- even if you have no money! 
Come, take your choice of wine or milk -- it's all free! 
 Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? 
Why pay for food that does you no good? 
Listen, and I will tell you where to get food that is good for the soul! 
"Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, for the life of your soul is at stake.  
Isaiah 55:1-3a

Spiritual Anorexia.  Bulemia.  Remember that post?


"We live by every word that comes out of God’s mouth.  
God’s Word sanctifies us.  
As the words that have been formed in God’s mouth are digested as the Bread of Life in us,
 they begin to form our thinking, affections, and volitions in a wonderful way. 

If that's true, then we have an eating disorder on our hands!  I'm struggling with spiritual anorexia!  Am I now on a binge?  I hope that's not true...in the sense that I'm gorging myself with no real taste or ability to digest only to find myself in another anorexic binge.  Maybe this analogy makes you laugh, but I am dead serious.  Starving leads to body functions shutting down and doing without.  Spiritual deprivation from the Bread of Life will lead to parts of our lives being neglected and shutting down."



 I am in danger of starving myself.  I spent a few weeks gorging on the WORD, and then I spend days only nibbling, thinking that I was OK.  That I could go a few days without renewing my relationship with my Savior.  Just as I need food daily, throughout the day, I am only fooling myself by not nourishing myself as often with the True Bread.  When will I learn?


"Morning by morning he awakens me 
and opens my understanding to his will"  Isaiah 50:4

No comments:

Look but Don't Take

All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is ©Jennifer Beggs. My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for contest submission or publication.

My Family

My Family
God Bless America

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus with all my heart and a truth & Grace seeker. I married the love of my life in 2000 and I've been blessed with 5 lovies that I homeschool. Join me as I blog about my interests.

Counter

Web Site Counter

Blog Archive