Wednesday, June 16, 2010

{Monday} Meals


I made a fabulous dinner last night that I was excited to both cook and taste-test the final product. I am NOT a vegetable fan, but have been on a journey the past 6 years towards eating healthier. Now as a mom, I really want to be able to provide my family with healthier meals--even for those picky eaters. I got this meal--actually a breakfast recipe--from a First Place Bible Study book for weight loss. It's a summer book filled with summer recipes. Here goes:

Vegetable Fritatta with Cheese
8 slightly beaten eggs 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn or fresh cut
1 tbsp snipped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tbsp. olive oil 3/4 chopped plum tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped zucchini 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Combine eggs and basil in a medium bowl and set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet; add corn, zucchini and green onions. Cook and stir for 3 minutes, and then add tomatoes. Cook uncovered over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Pour egg mixture over the vegetables in the skillet. Cook over medium heat. As the mixture sets, run a spatula around the edge of skillet, lifting egg mixture so that the uncooked portion flows underneath. Contiue cooking and lifting edges until this egg mixture is almost set (the surface will be moist). Sprinkle with cheese. Place the skillet under a broiler 4-5 inches from heat. Broil 1-2 minutes or until the top is just set and the cheese is melted. Serves 4; 375 cal; 22 g fat; 19 g protein; 27 g carb; 3 g fiber.

I omitted the tomatoes and did not broil. I placed onions and zucchini in my food chopper and used a package of frozen corn that had butter sauce in it. I also browned turkey kielbasa before hand and placed on top of finished fritatta. I used my own basil that I'm growing, and I'm excited that in a short while, I'll be able to make this recipe using my own corn, eggs, tomatoes, zucchini, and onions!! That makes it economical, and there's just something so satisfying about eating something that I worked so hard to produce. I'll try to take more pictures of my cooking, too!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You have such cute kids! :) Hope you are doing well!

Rieses Pieces said...

Yummy! So excited to eventually try this recipe. I love all the fresh produce that is available in the summer (and so envious) of that garden of yours! Glad you joined us on the Monday Meals! I can't wait to see what you will be making next week.

Look but Don't Take

All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is ©Jennifer Beggs. My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for contest submission or publication.

My Family

My Family
God Bless America

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus with all my heart and a truth & Grace seeker. I married the love of my life in 2000 and I've been blessed with 5 lovies that I homeschool. Join me as I blog about my interests.

Counter

Web Site Counter

Blog Archive