Saturday, September 17, 2011

Blessings & Bounty Fall Canning

I look forward to fall-time to reap the benefits of all the work of summer & spring.  But boy, is it exhausting!  So glad to have my mom's help in all of this!  We had OODDLES of tomatoes this year!  We've canned tomato soup and salsa and juice, nearly 100 quarts, I'm sure.  Of course, there's all the onions and peppers that go into it as well.  I'm grateful for how well my pepper plants and tomato plants grew this year!  And there's more to come!


We live in an area surrounded by orchards--apples, cherries, pears, peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots, you name it!  We've canned a bushel of pears and nectarines and I froze up a bushel of peaches.  I hope that's enough--another friend with the same size family canned 5 bushels of peaches!  That's a lot of work!  Add to all this harvesting is trying to start school at home at the same time!  By the end of the week, all was done, but boy was it busy!  One night, my mom and I were in the kitchen still cooking away at 10 pm!


Some people don't like to mess with pears, but everybody in my house loves them!  So juicy!
Along with all of this, I've been baking homemade bread and cooking up some Venison Barley Stew--just perfect on cool fall days!  Homemade oatmeal, pancakes and muffins for breakfast (all from scratch) to see how I could prepare food more frugally & more healthfully for my family--too bad they're not all a hit with the youngsters!  But I love it when I hear, "Mama, you're the best!  You make the best pancakes ever!"

I've even been making my own yogurt, successfully, (after a few not so successful batches) and I think it tastes fabuloso!!!  Not nearly as tangy/sour as the store's plain yogurt.  I love eating it with some fresh fruit or homemade granola.  Again, the kids don't think so much of it, but I think if I blend it with some of our frozen fruit, and add a little sweetener, they'll like it better.

No comments:

Look but Don't Take

All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is ©Jennifer Beggs. My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for contest submission or publication.

My Family

My Family
God Bless America

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus with all my heart and a truth & Grace seeker. I married the love of my life in 2000 and I've been blessed with 5 lovies that I homeschool. Join me as I blog about my interests.

Counter

Web Site Counter

Blog Archive