Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Green Smoothie





I have enjoyed smoothies for the past year and a half...since I started the PRISM diet and couldn't have any more sugar. I recently decided to try the PRISM way again, and have started eating more smoothies again, too! I love a treat after the kids go the bed, and so, instead of ice cream, I enjoy a large cup of smoothie. Here's how I make mine:

1/2 cup of plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup of skim milk (or more as needed)
1/2 cup of frozen strawberries
1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
1 banana (frozen is good, too. When bananas are on sale, I buy bunches, peel them and stick in a large ziplock bag and throw them in the freezer. You can pull one out at a time kinda easily)
Handful of spinach

Throw everything into the blender, milk first. Because I use frozen fruit, it starts to get really thick and hard to mix the frozen fruit. I add more milk if needed to keep the blender going. This makes a HUGE cup, so share if so inclined. I don't like to share. I figure it's about 260 calories. Like I said, this makes a lot, so share if you want less calories.

Last summer, I picked strawberries and blueberries and froze them. I picked a LOT. Which is really interesting, since I don't like either of them. Never have. But in my smoothie, they're YUMMY! I also use plain non fat yogurt, which tastes really gross if you try to just eat it. But in a smoothie, it's YUMMY! I was also never a fan of spinach, convinced it must be disgusting, but actually, raw, it has no taste to me. Now, cooked it still looks slimy, so I'm not ready to try that. You can see the before and after picture of what the smoothie looks like when I added the spinach. It changes the color slightly, and there are flecks of green, but not by much. Honestly, I couldn't taste it, but it does change the texture slightly.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Neat Jen! Thanks for directing me here! {grin}

Look but Don't Take

All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is ©Jennifer Beggs. My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for contest submission or publication.

My Family

My Family
God Bless America

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus with all my heart and a truth & Grace seeker. I married the love of my life in 2000 and I've been blessed with 5 lovies that I homeschool. Join me as I blog about my interests.

Counter

Web Site Counter

Blog Archive