Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Simpler the Better



I have been visiting a thread over at Splitcoaststampers about the one-layer Christmas cards. Some of them were really amazing! I used to do one-layer stamping when I didn't know any better...and I still don't layer that much--mostly because I'm cheap!! Ha, Ha! I think the major point of the creaters in this link was to save time and make something that could be mailed without extra postage. That means fewer layers and hardware. So I came up with a few quickies today. I used plain white cardstock on 2 of the cards, cut 4.25x5.5. I corner cut the outside corners to soften the look, and I also rubbed ink with a sponge along the edges. On the Snowflake "Rejoice" card, I used Night of Navy ink. The snowflake comes from a recently retired set. I punched a circle in the center and stamped through the hole to create a 3-d look. I also used a glue pen and blue glitter on the snowflakes. The rejoice comes from a retired set called "Graceful Words". This set is elegant and wonderful to use. I just got this ribbon from Hobby Lobby during the 50% off ribbon sale. It's got thin wire along the edges, too, so it really keeps it's shape. On the Mary and Joseph card, I stamped the image in Basic Brown and colored it in with pastels and blender pens. The image and sentiment comes from a set in last year's Holiday Mini (and is retired). I used it on all my Christmas cards last year. I really try to have images and cards that reflect the birth of my Savior, Jesus Christ. This ribbon is also new, and adds a touch of elegance with its gold/copper tones. The final card is one that I'm not totally pleased with. The base is bashful Blue, 6x6 folded in half. I originally stamped Bold Snowflake jumbo wheel in versamark, but it didn't transfer smoothly, so I rolled over it using Brilliant Blue, which is a Dynamic Duo to Bashful Blue (according to the color wheel). Then I used a snowman stamp from Snow Flurries Set and stamped in Brilliant Blue, adding some red with blender pens and pastels. I tore the edges and sponged with Bashful Blue. The JOY sentiment comes from a retired set, and I ticket punched the corner, punched a small hole to thread the ribbon through, and also sponged the piece with Bashful Blue ink. I then added blue glitter to the snowmen with a glue pen. The part that I'm not pleased with is the balance of the card. While I like to do this size card, it's harder to get a balanced look. I think that I need to use the skinny snowman from this set. Any ideas?

No comments:

Look but Don't Take

All content (including text, photographs, and design work) is ©Jennifer Beggs. My original artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for contest submission or publication.

My Family

My Family
God Bless America

About Me

My photo
I love Jesus with all my heart and a truth & Grace seeker. I married the love of my life in 2000 and I've been blessed with 5 lovies that I homeschool. Join me as I blog about my interests.

Counter

Web Site Counter

Blog Archive